Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Umami Burger and Street

Last Friday I ate lunch at Umami Burger (Hollywood location) and dinner at Street.

My assessment of Umami Burger is in line with the LAT review; everything was tasty but the prices are high and portions are small. I would rather go to 8 oz.

I liked Street; the menu is broad and allows you to order many plates. Their signature dish is the Kaya Toast, "toasted bread spread thick with coconut jam; served with a soft fried egg drizzled in dark soy and white pepper." It may sound wacky but the end result (once you dip the bread in teh egg) is like spruced up French toast. Yummy!

We also had the New Jerusalem Bread Salad (very tasty though the bread pieces were too crunchy), Moroccan Spiced Winter Squash (good, sweet, lots of cinnamon), and the Indonesian Peanut Noodles (my favorite, sauce was the right amount of spicy and I liked the greens).

Our waiter was very good, the ambience was ok (layout is a little weird), and decor could use improvement. What I imagine is supposed to look like cute graffiti outside just looks like bad stick figures.

Then Mike claimed to be too full for dessert, but stopped at the Yum Yum Donuts down the street for a couple glazed on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment