Thursday, February 11, 2010

La Descarga

Rum is not on my list of things to drink; only gin is more vile to me. However, I am always up for a specialty cocktail, so Mike and I went to La Descarga last night (there is a full bar, so if you hate rum even more than I do you can drink something else). The LAT piece is an accurate introduction to the place: Cuban theme thoroughly explored via decor and music, two different doors manned by two different people before you even enter the bar, and a lot of rum.

Mike had the Tropical Holiday, which was strong and sweet but drinkable (note: it is pink and has a large mint garnish), followed by a Cuba Libre. I had a Pappa's Daquiri, which I liked: tart with grapefruit juice and a lime garnish, it had a nice flavor and wasn't too syrupy or sweet tasting (my chief rum complaints). The Nailing the Admiral (or Banging the Captain, or Smashing the Steward) was fairly described by our waitress as a Manhattan with rum. I started a swift downward spiral after two sips of this. Maybe the fumes from the adjacent cigar bar finally got to me?

The crowd was young and heavily male.

Genius feature: there is a late night taco shop immediately next door. Skip the drive to Benitos!

Friendly tip: This bar is north of Santa Monica Blvd. If you enter the address into Google Maps, it defaults to S. Western Ave, and directs you to a strip mall in Koreatown.

1 comment: