Friday, April 2, 2010

iPlahd

I have been reading a fair amount abotu the iPad because I want to be persuaded to like it.

Up to this point I believe that there are people who surely want it (Macfags and gadget early adopters) and peopel who surely don't (people who are irritated by Macfags and those who would rather spend money on food, drinks, clothes, etc.). I am waiting to see who is in the middle, and if anyone can be pulled from one group to another, and I haven't figured that out yet.

Here is a real fanboy piece with nice pics and an optimistic look at the creative future as guided by tablets (but I don't think this piece successfully argues that iPad is THE tablet for the job).

This is a piece about how the iPad will eradicate th eneed for any other kind of computer device.

Here is a more tech-oriented argument against the iPad, and moreover against Apple's DRM-heavy business model that encourages one to buy more, not create different.

I have a question about the way that the tablet is supposed to save print media: how? I thought the issue with print is that lots of advertising revenue has been lost, primarly in the classified pages, and papers, magazines, etc. cannot make up for that revenue with online ads. So how is the iPad supposed to help? By increasing the number of peopel who will subscribe? So that advertisers will pay a lot to get in front of their eyes? Or the subscription fees are supposed to make a difference?

Please, someone explain this part to me. Update on 4/9/10: Oh, iAd.

No comments:

Post a Comment