Monday, October 17, 2011

Lonnie Loosie

I am a few months late to this article about Lonnie Loosie, a man who makes a living by selling single cigarettes on the streets of New York. This story is full of hilarious anecdotes and race-based stereotypes come to life: he employs two brothers named Norman and Carlton, his brand of choice is Newports, and he has been arrested approximately 15 times.

I learned what a loosie was after hearing the word on a Dave Chappelle special and asking around. There are some things I didn't learn in high school.



P.S. Thank you to the Robert Wood Johnson foundation for leading me to this article.

1 comment:

  1. I know that you know about the Robert Wood Johnson foundation through NPR..."committed to building a more just, verdant and peaceful world".

    ReplyDelete