Monday, September 14, 2009

Mi Vida Loca


While reading this LAT review of the film Down for Life, I was surprised there was no mention of Mi Vida Loca. I used to watch Mi Vido Loca whenever it came on HBO; it is similar to Down for Life in that it is set in a low-income, heavily Latino area of Los Angeles, uses both professional actors (hi Salma Hayek!) and residents of the neighborhood, and all the lead characters are women.

At the time, I felt like Mi Vida Loca gave me insight into the lives of my junior high classmates, many of whom may have lived in Echo Park, where the film is set (pre-American Apparel). Looking back, I have no idea if the film is at all realistic.

I remember thinking La Blue Eyes (bottom left) was the prettiest girl in the whole world. How I forgot about the glory that is Whisper's (top left) bangs is a mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment