Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tune Yards, Buena Vista Social Club, Goldfrapp

On Sunday I went to the Hollywood Bowl to see this line up (thank you MG for the tickets).

Tune Yards are wacky in many ways: punctuation and capitalization, hairstyles, guitar sizing. I only caught a couple of their songs; I liked them, and Sunlight seems to be the most accessible.


Buena Vista Social Club was what I expected given my extremely limited knowledge of their music, Cuba, and old people in suits. The female vocalist Omara Portuondo is an inspiration to women everywhere, as she is still getting after it at the ripe age of 80.


Goldfrapp was more glittery than I anticipated. Her set was like a UFO from the future got stuck in 1983, studied David Bowie, then landed in 2010 to show us what it looks like to combine outer space, the future, and glam disco rock. There aren't any great live clips up, but watching this video for Alive gives you an idea of what Goldfrapp is about right now: part sexy, part silly, part camp, lots of lycra.


Goldfrapp has a lot of avid fans; I was impressed at the level of dance enthusiasm (read: many drunk gay men). I remained seated for most of the show; it was easier to eat my caramel popcorn that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment