Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Shopping at Ikea

I have never really liked shopping at Ikea because it is usually crowded, I get lost, and I have a hard time finding a sales person to help me.

But after reading this article about the Beijing Ikea (called Yi Jia) I realize that my experience could be much worse: at the Beijing store, people take off their shoes and get in the display beds to nap! Families come to hang out all day and enjoy the air conditioning and ample seating.

This reminds me of stories my friend Laura told be about visiting Beijing and Shanghai: kids wear pants with an opening that allows them to squat and go to the bathroom without any garment removal. They squat, sometimes over pieces of paper, and go to the bathroom in the street.

I am not ready to go to China.

No comments:

Post a Comment