Monday, October 19, 2009

Junior Boys at the El Rey Wed. Oct. 14



I thought the show was a lot of fun, though some complained that their music doesn't have quite enough energy to merit real dancing (that didn't stop a couple in front of me from truly breaking it down for the duration of the show). Also, why do so many serious dancers at concerts wear bad hats?

A guy walking to his car said he gave the show a 7, and wished it were more hardcore like MSTRKRFT. His friend brought him to the show because he likes electronic music. Junior Boys are never going to be a 10 if MSTRKRFT is your yardstick, and I don't even think they qualify as electronic anymore. They're more like industrial college rave trance rap (I say that as someone who really liked The Looks.

The sound was very good for the El Rey, though I missed opening act Circlesquare so I don't know how things went for them (him?). The venue was certainly not at capacity, and I was surprised to learn that Junior Boys fanbase is not entirely comprised of gay Canadian men. I don't know why I assumed this in the first place.

Junior Boys went on a little after 10 and played for over an hour. I would be able to report on the setlist if some blond guy didn't swipe it (read: ask for it) before I had a chance! I recall (in no particular order):
In the Morning
Hazel
Work (I know that was the second song they played)
Parallel Lines
Equalizer
Double Shadow
Birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment